This article will cover how to sign up with PayPal to receive disbursements through Benevity, PayPal application requirements, and required screenshots.
Steps to apply for PayPal disbursements:
- Sign in to the Causes Portal
- Select the ‘Donation Method’ tab on the left-hand side menu
- Select the ‘Update Donation Payment Method’ button and pick your donation payment method
- Fill out the required fields marked with a red asterisk (*)
- Upload your PayPal verification screenshots as one document (see below for details)
- Upload your authorization letter (see below for details)
- Review the information and select ‘Submit’
*Please note: The primary email address associated with your PayPal account must have a domain directly affiliated with your organization, for example, email@example.com. An email address that has the name of the organization but the domain is not directly affiliated (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org) will not be accepted.
This is an authorization letter that will be on your organization's letterhead, in a non-editable format (such as PDF) confirming that the PayPal account information provided is the authentic account of your organization. For example:
"I (first name last name) hereby confirm that (Paypal account email address) is the primary email address associated with the PayPal account for (organization name)"
PayPal Verification Screenshots
We accept the following in one single document (samples attached):
- A single screenshot of the 'Account Owner Information' and 'Business Information' pages combined, which can be obtained by opening 2 sessions of your PayPal account side to side, and taking a single screenshot of both sessions; OR
- A screenshot of each of the 'Account Owner Information' and 'Business Information' pages, saved in a single document to attach to your application
To access these pages, please click the 'Settings' wheel in the top right, then select 'Account Settings'.
PayPal applications are manually reviewed by our finance team and the approval turnaround of the applications is dependent on volume. You can anticipate up to one month for processing. If your application is approved, or if more information is required, you will be notified via email.
Please note that this does not affect your cause from receiving donations, as PayPal is simply a preferred method; the default method is cheque.